In our original Round the World with Kids plan, we had given Hoi An about four nights and opted to spend more time in Da Nang. By the time we arrived though, we realised things were about to change rapidly. We needed to prepare for a longer stay either in Hoi An or back in Da Nang. We chose Hoi An because we fell in love with the vibe of the place. Da Nang just didn't feel like 'us'. If you're more of a city person, Da Nang might be a better pick, but still, check both out, you might be surprised (I definitely thought I'd prefer Da Nang, but Hoi An won me over easy).
We ended up staying in the Hoi An and An Bang areas from 19th of March until the 6th of June 2020. It was a good amount of time, although a lot of places were closed for most of April.
While we were in the area, we connected with locals who gave us lots of recommendations. We stayed in three different guesthouses/villas in the Hoi An area and two beach houses in An Bang. We also visited some of the places our friends stayed and have included these too.
Family Stays in Hoi An
Our picks for Hoi An. These run from cheapest to more expensive. I'll include everything I can for you in this too. None of these stays were sponsored stays. All comments and opinions are our own.
We booked two of ours using booking.com. One of ours is listed with booking.com but we connected directly via the expats Facebook group and booked directly with the Villa.
If booking.com approve us as an Affiliate, I'll pop a widget box here for you to use so you can check these out for yourself!
Suburban Villa was the first place we stayed at in Hoi An. This place is for families on a budget who might only stay two to four nights and want to be close to the market along the river, but not in the centre.
What we loved
- The beds were comfortable, some of the best we have slept on during our time in Vietnam.
- We liked their bikes, although tires did need pumping up, so just check before you go. These bikes had the padding on the back so it was comfortable for Elijah to sit behind Rimaha on our little bike tours. Check back soon for a post about riding bikes with kids in Hoi An. Please be extra careful if you put a toddler on the back of a bike. It can be EXTREMELY dangerous. Photos as evidence will be in our new blog - coming soon.
- The pool was great for us. We were there with Kiwi Family Adventures and five kids fit in the pool no problem at all.
- Breakfast was all you need and was included in our rate! We ate Mi Quang and the kids had pancakes, it was happiness all around.
- There is a family room available with a full sized bed and two twins. They also have an inter connecting room, a full sized bed in one room and two twins in the other. If I were you, I'd recommend requesting the interconnecting rooms because - more space.
The Surburban Villa is a great choice for families who want to be near the town on a budget. Click here or on the photo above to get current pricing from Agoda (opens in a new window).
What we didn't love
- We travelled during the Coronavirus pandemic. A lot of places were closed at that time which meant for us, it was a little far away for us with a 3 year old toddler (at that time). I believe that on your average trip, the place would be fine because everything would be open.
- It is a little far from our recommended cheap family eats.
- The rooms are only serviced when requested. My hubby mistakenly put our sign on the door showing 'Do not disturb' instead of 'Please make up my room'. If you want to get your room made up, just make sure that you place the sign showing the right way and it would be fine.
- 5am announcements every other day coming from nearby loudspeakers. These were a bit of an unexpected surprise. They lasted an hour or so including music interludes. Perhaps these were COVID related, I'm really not too sure, but we didn't have these anywhere else on the trip ?
Things to check when you book
Send a message to check if they have construction nearby. When we were there, construction was going on directly out the front gate. It was noisy during the day. However, that particular building is probably finished by now. Before you leave, send them a message via your preferred booking site to check if there is anything nearby and I'm sure they will let you know pretty quickly if there is.
Breakfast next to the pool at Suburban Villa
The Little Library Villa
This was the third Hoi An Villa we stayed in. We were there three nights before flying out to Hanoi. It was one of the best value for money available at the time and suited our needs with two rooms.
What we loved
- The beds were comfortable, I think it would be hard to compare comfort with Suburban, they are probably equal in this area. Although the 'double' here is definitely bigger. If you're sharing the bed with a toddler, you'll love this spot.
- Of all the places we stayed, this place provided the best bikes in fantastic condition and included padding on the back. There is also a bike here with a child-friendly seat for toddlers (which is much safer if your child isn't used to riding on the back of the bike - Elijah almost lost a foot in the wheel during our first week biking Hoi An - Seriously).
- The pool looked fantastic, however we didn't use it as Elijah had an ear infection at the time we were there.
- Nhung was really lovely, so was Frank, the Australian co-owner. They were very helpful.
- There are two boys that live here, Ron and Ryan. They were the perfect ages to play with Elijah, they let him play with their toys and ride their child-sized bicycles.
- Elijah joined the boys for dinner a couple of the nights, and Nhung fed me one of the nights. It was yummy and just what I needed. I'd be happy eating her meals each night, affordable and good. We paid for breakfasts on our checkout morning and these were also good value.
- There is an oven. If you like to bake and plan on staying more than a few days, I recommend this place. It is the only place we found with a full oven!
- You can use the washing machine and dryer to do your own laundry or you can pay for the laundry service.
- The location was still quite close to old town. We knew our way around the town at that stage.
- It is a little far from our recommended cheap family eats (but I am sure there are still plenty of these at this end of time outside of Coronavirus time).
- This place is in a quiet suburb out of the main town. It might be a little too quiet for some people (but I like sleepy neighbourhoods).
- The rooms are not interconnecting here. It is a small villa, so you can request rooms right next to each other, and you may end up with the whole floor to yourself anyway (three rooms per floor). For us, this wasn't an issue, we took two rooms and they weren't even right next to each other. It was perfectly safe to do this as there are big gates at the entrance and our older children were comfortable down the hallway (they didn't want to share a bed and we wanted an extra bed for Elijah). If your family needs more than a full sized bed and a twin and if your children are at an age where you need to be in connected rooms, this might not be the right place for you.
The beds at Little Library Villa were great. It was a great spot with the best bikes we had on our stay. Click here or on the images above to see current Agoda pricing (opens in new window).
CIC Boutique Hoi An Villa
CIC Villa was where our family stayed in Hoi An during the three week COVID restrictions. We stayed here for one month and enjoyed our daily bike rides into the rice fields. We loved the guy who took care of the place, he had no English but his face always lit up at Elijah! Hana did speak English and she went above and beyond to make our stay wonderful. We were very grateful to find a place with two rooms and a pool. We sometimes felt a bit guilty that we were having such a good time while the rest of the world was going into lockdown and in the midst of panic.
CIC Boutique Hoi An Villa was a lovely refuge for our family during the Covid-19 pandemic. We stayed here one month and really enjoyed our time here! Click here or on the images above to get up to date Agoda pricing (opens in new window).
What we loved
- The beds were comfortable. Not as comfortable as Suburban or the Little Library, but we weren't uncomfortable and we stayed here for a month.. If you're sharing the bed with a toddler, you'll love this spot.
- The balcony was wonderful and we loved opening up the sliding doors to let the afternoon breeze fly in.
- The location is great.
- It is close to the Ba Le markets, which are more local than the touristy Hoi An markets (you'll get better prices here).
- The villa is also situated right on the rice fields which made for the most wonderful outings during the pandemic.
- It is also convenient to the out of town, more local style cheap eats that we recommend.
- The bikes were in good condition, there was even a mountain bike which my oldest son loved. There is also a bike here with a child-friendly seat for toddlers (which is much safer if your child isn't used to riding on the back of the bike - Elijah almost lost a foot in the wheel during our first week biking Hoi An - Seriously).
- The pool was perfect for us. It was a bit smaller and didn't get as much sun as the other places we stayed. We still loved it and the kids swam in it almost every day for the month that we were there.
- Hana was very kind and helpful with us. She advised us good places to extend our visa so we didn't overpay. Hana is very easy to approach and more than willing to go the extra mile for you during your stay.
- It is a little further from the old town itself, but it's a nice bike ride to town and definitely easy enough to do.
- If you are staying a bit longer and like to cook, the kitchen is a bit smaller than the other places we stayed, but you are still welcome to use it.
- Laundry services are provided with a fee (30,000 vnd per kg while we were there).
- Breakfast wasn't included in our rate, but you can pay a little extra to have it included, or just order off the menu while you are there.
CIC Boutique Hoi An Villa is a really lovely place for families to stay in Hoi An. Click here or on photos above to see current Agoda pricing (opens in new window).
Locals Recommended These Family Stays in Hoi An
Here is a list of other stays recommended to us by Hoi An locals (who also happened to be Kiwis - what a coincidence).
Phuc Thao Villa
Phuc Thao Villa - cheap and nice. Click here or on photos above to see current Agoda pricing (opens in new window).
- Very cheap but nice
- Good pool
- Adjoining rooms
- Close to restaurants, mini marts etc
Dream City Hotel
Hoi An Dream City Hotel - Click here or on photos above to see current Agoda pricing (opens in new window).
- In the middle of old town but on a quiet street
- Great staff
- Good pool
Banana Garden Villa Hoi An
Banana Garden Villa Hoi An - Click here or on photos above to see current Agoda pricing (opens in new window).
- Two pools
- Nice rooms (with adjoining options)
Hoi An Emotion Boutique Villa
Hoi An Emotion Boutique Villa - Click here or on photos above to see current Agoda pricing (opens in new window).
- Awesome pool with swim up bar
- Great food
- Lovely rooms
- Great staff
- Location isn't as good as the others in terms of walking distance to restaurants etc but still pretty good (if you’re happy to get on bicycles this isn’t an issue at all);
Hoi An Ancient House Village Resort & Spa
Hoi An Ancient House Village Resort & Spa - Click here or on photos above to see current Agoda pricing (opens in new window).
- Great pool
- Nice staff
- Great location
- Really nice rooms
Hoi An Silk Marina Resort and Spa
Hoi An Silk Marina Resort and Spa - Click here or on photos above to see current Agoda pricing (opens in new window).
- Cool location right in old town on An Hoi island where the night markets are
- More upmarket