Travel Insurance for Nomad Families
Travel insurance is an essential for every trip! I dealt with travel insurance as a Travel Agent and Health Insurance customer service rep. I know most credit card covers don't cut it, and it is very wise to do your research to find something that ticks all the important boxes. We planned to be living and working around the world, so our needs were different on this trip. We realised travel insurance for nomad families is quite different to your average insurance policy so we went with the insurance recommended by other people living and working around the world.
You need to have repatriation cover (this gets you home) and you want something reliable.
The travel insurance we recommend for nomad families
We decided to go with World Nomad Insurance as it is used and recommended by many of our favourite travel bloggers. It is especially great for long-term travel because we don't have a fixed address. This insurance allows us to purchase anywhere in the world. I'm happy about this! It also has amazing competitive pricing.
We've travelled with World Nomads for most of our trips over the past 5 years. Until 2020, we hadn't needed to use it (thankfully). Since we began travelling full-time we've had to call and even made some claims.
Our Claims with World Nomads
- We needed support when my son got a fever while travelling during the COVID-19 pandemic. I'm impressed that they responded so quickly and made daily calls to us until we were certain Elijah hadn't caught the Coronavirus.
- In December, 2020, we needed to use our insurance for our first hospital stay in Vietnam. Aaliyah was admitted for an abscess and we were there for four nights. During this admission World Nomads were amazing. They communicated with us well and the claim was paid out quickly and easily. Again, the support from the nursing team was fantastic. They regularly checked in with us and made sure my daughter was ok.
- At the start of 2021, Rimaha needed to use the private hospital during the Tet Holiday. Again, the contact centre was responsive and the claim was paid quickly.
- During June, 2021 my laptop was water damaged. It took me a while to get the documentation needed for the claim as we weren't anywhere near an Apple Store, but World Nomads assured me there is no time limit for claiming. Once the documentation was complete, I forwarded it to the team for processing. Again, this claim was processed no issues.
- In August, 2021 we slightly damaged a rental car. Again, we found the contact centre to be extremely helpful. It took a while to get the rental car agency to co-operate, I had to nag them for months. Fortunately, World Nomads claims team was also nagging them, and the rental car company finally delivered the documents we'd been requesting (after about six or eight months). Once World Nomads had the required info, they paid out again. No problems! If you do experience an issue with a rental car agency, get a quote for repairs before you leave - so you don't have to wait around for them (especially when you've had to leave the country).
Over the course of almost two years of travel, we've had multiple reasons to claim. You definitely need travel insurance as a nomad family!
Would I Recommend World Nomads as Travel Insurance for Nomad Families?
I've got full confidence in the support from the team at World Nomads. I can't recommend them enough. I did a short run with Safety Wing. During that time I had one hospital experience. I called Safety Wing and their team wasn't able to help answer any questions. They wouldn't pay direct to any hospital and their response was 'just pay what you need to and we'll assess later'. Fortunately, there was no private hospital bills on this occasion, but it didn't inspire a lot of faith to continue with this company. We also didn't receive any follow up phone calls to check if we were ok. We were THRILLED when we discovered World Nomads was open for business again (after briefly ceasing insurance for citizens of NZ / Australia during the pandemic).
Travel insurance: simple & flexible
You can buy and claim online, even after you've left home. Travel insurance from WorldNomads.com is available to people from over 130 countries. It’s designed for adventurous travellers with cover for overseas medical, evacuation, baggage and a range of adventure sports and activities.
7 things you should know about travel insurance from WorldNomads.com
- Trusted reliable underwriters
WorldNomads.com is backed by a suite of strong, secure, specialist travel insurers who provide you with great cover, 24 hour emergency assistance and the highest levels of support and claims management when you need it most.
- Value for money with the cover you need
WorldNomads.com provides cover for what's important for travellers from over 130 countries. By focusing on what you need and leaving out what you don't, World Nomads prices are some of the most competitive online.
- Flexibility when you need it most
Had a change of plans? You can buy more cover or claim online while you are still away. You can even buy a World Nomads policy if you're already travelling.
- Cover for a range of adventure activities
From skiing & snowboarding in New Zealand to whitewater rafting in Colorado, WorldNomads.com covers a range of adventure activities, giving you peace of mind to get the most from your travels.
- World Nomads keeps you travelling safely
All WorldNomads.com members have access to up-to-date travel safety alerts, as well as travel safety advice and tips online through the World Nomads Travel Safety Hub.
- More than just great value travel insurance
All WorldNomads.com members can learn the local lingo through a series of iPod & iPhone Language Guides and can stay in touch with family and friends with an online travel journal.
- Commitment to exceptional customer service
We want to make sure you get the most from WorldNomads.com. You can find out more about why travel insurance is important for your trip. If you have any questions about your travel insurance or travel safety in general, please contact WorldNomads.com directly.